Thursday, January 12, 2012

Some like it hot

                                           
Its a lovely bright day today, yesterday was a little different with low cloud hanging around for most of it. I love the more obvious changes we get here, John would  like sun, sun, sun, but for me these "winter" days bring all sorts of bonuses. Though I might feel different, if I did not know we will have a hot summer for sure.
Summer for me is a time to relax in the shade and swim as much as possible and I am quiet happy to spend most of the long summer days right here. Not so everyone, its surprising how many Brits take themselves off to UK during July and August to escape the heat. One advantage of that of course is the good deals you can get from UK to other parts of Spain, Spain is a land of contrast which we are slowing getting to know but driving long ways in the heat and holiday traffic is not always fun. Then there are the many islands that are also part of Spain, now I could be tempted to take one of the cheap flights to Lanzarote for example which is cooler, even in summer, due to the Atlantic breezes, average temperature is around  29 degrees compared to being up in the high 30s and more here.

Meanwhile its a pleasant winter here, and as I say it gives you the chance to enjoy the wintery thing. Last night we had an enjoyable family supper, homemade chicken, mushroom and sweetcorn pie with mash and veg followed by a traditional rice pudding, arroz con leche, is a really traditional pudding both here and in UK. All this and the opportunity to chat in front of the log fire. Just great, and now the sun is shining and the birds are singing, so any ideas of flights to the Spanish islands will be on my holiday list for the coming summer whilst I enjoy the Blanca winter.

No comments: